Friday, April 8, 2016

Papillomavirus More Black Spots on Cat Ears

Back in November, I posted a photo of Baby's black ear spots which tests showed to be due from the Papillomavirus. We need to get rid of them because the black spots can become cancerous. The imiquimod cream we are using doesn't seem to be helping and more spots have appeared on her head, ears, and belly. She'll need to be retested soon. And somehow, Katharine now has spots on her head and ear. She will also need to be tested. I tried the cream on her spots but she had a negative reaction. She may have ingested it despite wearing the collar to prevent her from getting to her ear and despite me cleaning it off of the ear after I removed the collar. She became worn out about an hour after I removed the collar and wouldn't eat for a few hours until I gave her sugar water and tuna juice by mouth. Then I gave her Cyproheptadine to spur her appetite. She recovered. Baby hasn't had these same reactions so I was surprised. I read a study from 2007 that Photodynamic laser therapy is better to remove these spots than cryo therapy or freezing off the spots. Most vets seem to amputate the ear instead of doing photo or cryo therapy but then what do you do about the other spots? I'll need to do more research. The cats will go to the vet later in April or first of May. I will try the cream again on Katharine and try different amounts. She may be able to get around the soft collar and need a hard collar. And I will make sure to use soap and not just a wipe when I clean the cream off of her ear. Here are latest photos.



Baby's belly spots

Baby's ear: small black spot near finger; larger black spot at base, appears to be normal fur color but it's not. The left ear is pink and white skin at this point.

Katharine's spot on ear

Katharine's spot above right eye, at base of right ear in the pink/white opening

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I was worried but you have p[ut my mind at rest .. http://cattree.uk

    ReplyDelete