Friday, January 1, 2016

Holiday Foods May Be Poisonous to Pets

A variety of holiday breads (including fruit cake) contain currants. We know that grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs, but are currants just as bad? The answer is YES!
Ingestion of even a small amount of grapes, raisins, or currants can result in severe, acute kidney failure. Some dogs appear to tolerate small doses of the fruit without consequence, while other dogs may develop poisoning after the ingestion of just a few grapes or raisins. There is no way to predict which dogs may be more sensitive.
Grape, raisin, and currant toxicity symptoms include anorexia, vomiting, and diarrhea. Decontamination (e.g., inducing vomiting, decontaminating with activated charcoal, etc.), aggressive supportive care, aggressive IV fluid therapy, and monitoring of kidney function is recommended. As the toxicity progresses the kidneys may shut down, and the pet will not produce any urine. As the kidney failure worsens, the dog's blood pressure will increase dramatically, and the dog will usually lapse into a coma.
If decontamination and aggressive therapy are started quickly, the prognosis for currant toxicity is excellent - but if the kidneys have shut down and urine output has dropped, the prognosis is poor.
If you suspect your pet may have ingested any amount of grapes, raisins, or currants you should contact your veterinarian as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment