Sunday, October 26, 2014

Feline Urine Specific Gravity, and Update on Myrna Loy's Bloodwork

Myrna hasn't been feeling well enough, had trouble eating (the spoiled sweet potatoes being the possible reason), is having trouble chewing again (although not as badly as last month), and had enough energy but just wasn't as up as usual. I had her blood rechecked. A month ago in September, her BUN and creatinine had ticked up and her urine specific gravity was low. This time, good news: potassium is 4.3; BUN is 31, down from 41; creatinine is almost normal at 2.8, down from 3.5; urine specific gravity is up at 1.020, up from 1.004. USG-urine specific gravity-is complex and is associated with how well the kidneys are processing waste; if the cat's hydrated or dehydrated; if there's kidney damage, etc. Read the link below.

As usual, Miss Myrna presented with something unusual: hypothyroid, which is suddenly down to 0.6, down from a norm of 1.2. Just something to keep an eye on but could be the reason she's a tad run down (along with spoiled food, heart meds, heart disease.)


From IRIS website about urine specific gravity


4 comments:

  1. I don't know if my first comment went through but we have a cat with high creatinine levels 3.5 and his BUN is 42. I was wondering what you did to help support your kitties kidneys to bring down those levels so much. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi-Thanks for writing. If you are also Sam, then I've replied to Facebook but will also do so here: from the Med tab: "To help improve kidney function, to decrease BUN and creatinine, she receives Solgar 100mg vitamin E oil, one Nature Made 100mg COQ10, 1ml Gerber Baby's First Foods Sweet Potatoes, 1/2 ml of water, a smidge of Halo vitamin C for cats, and some Sundown Krill oil. Mix, syringe, give orally." I tend to give Krill oil twice a week now. I also give B12, iron, magnesium tablets (which I just realized I need to update the Med info which I thought had been updated.)

      Delete
  2. I just saw your blog post from 9/1. Sorry I didn't look that over first. Is this still the regimen you are adhering to for such great results?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the information. My cat has been acting up lately; I've wondered if she's got hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. I'm glad that you were willing to share some insight as to how to deal with that. I'll pay special attention to my furry friend and make sure she sees a veterinarian on a regular basis. http://www.chadwellanimalhospital.com/about-us/our-staff/

    ReplyDelete