We found out from the cardiologist that low phosphorus is dangerous, can lead to anemia, and cause many other negative reactions in the body. But for now, it's in Cooper's favor because if the phosphorus was high and the calcium was high, they would bind together to make cement in the body which would kill him.
So, we are giving him 1/4 of a 250 mg. of magnesium and half of a 595 mg potassium supplement a day now. We continue to use a fiber source-sugar free, orange flavor free-which is supposed to help the body bind or absorb calcium. We add water to his food so that he has more water to help his kidneys flush out any calcium deposits and to help his kidneys in case the issue is causing kidney disease. However, his BUN, Creatinine and all other blood chemistry levels are normal.
We saw a cardiologist on Monday because I read that calcium deposits will deposit in the heart and kidneys and will cause damage and blockage. His heart is clear and working perfectly. We now have an appointment to see an internist at Michigan State Vet school for further testing and information. He has had a T4 thyroid test, a parathyroid test, and an absorption test to see if he's retaining minerals and vitamins. All were normal so early signs do not show signs of cancer, of which hypercalcemia is an early indicator.
It's quite possible that in the early years of his life-he's four years old, almost five-when he would chew on and digest and eventually vomit up the foam insulation around the pipes in the basement, he became poisoned and that the calcium levels are reacting to that poison. Certain chemicals can cause chemistry levels in the body to change and to create dangerous situations such as hypercalcemia. We will ask that and many other questions of the internist in June.
What is the danger of hypercalcemia? The first danger is that it could indicate cancer and we would want to know what type and how to fight it. The second danger is due to the high calcium being deposited in the kidneys or heart, causing malfunction, disease, or the shutting down of the kidneys or heart and therefore, potentially killing Cooper. The other issue is the continued high levels of glucose which can also damage the kidneys and other body parts and interfere with body function.
|Cooper enjoying a walk outdoors on a leash|