Monday, November 7, 2011

Another Cat, Another Issue

In order to prevent one thing, we created another problem. Yesterday, Katharine Hepburn, Myrna Loy's sister, swallowed a hairband. Objects in the stomach can cause problems and we wanted her to vomit it up.  We gave hydrogen peroxide-which is allowed-to induce vomiting. It's one teaspoon or what measures out to be 6 ccs of peroxide by mouth. Wait ten or more minutes and then give another dose. You can do this up to three doses.  We only gave two doses, the second one 20 minutes later. 

It worked and two hours later she vomited up the hairband and her lunch and some fluid.  But that was followed by four more hours of vomiting up fluids and then blood colored fluids. We went to the ER. They gave meds to stop the vomiting and sub q fluids.  But today she was very weak and lethargic so I took her to her regular vet. There they gave her an appetite stimulant and meds for her upset tummy and more sub q fluids.

She hasn't eaten yet but seems more rested than lethargic. I also gave her 3ccs of a mixture of 2 ccs of tuna juice with 2 drops of corn syrup mixed in approximately 1/8 cup or more of water which helped perk her up.

The next steps will be to try to get food in her.  If she vomits again then she will return to the vet for a barium test to make sure there are no blockages in the stomach and intestines.  If she becomes lethargic again, she will need more sub q fluids. She might need another appetite stimulant.

Katharine Hepburn when not sick
 Apparently, it's not uncommon for cats to swallow objects but the objects can create obstructions in their stomachs. It wasn't wrong to induced vomiting but I don't think I'll ever do this again. We try to do our best for them and yet we also create more issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment