Monday, February 9, 2015

Myrna's Breathing Rate Ramps Up Middle of the Night Due to Feline HCM

Posted to Facebook 2/9/15

Myrna had a rough day yesterday. Breathing was ok until after midnight. But in the am she vomited and wouldn't eat or drink. She vomited her meds so I waited until 1pm to give torsemide again. She kept it down so we resumes normal med schedule and gave supplements. She wasn't drinking so wasn't going. Knowing that water is necessary for kidneys to process diuresis of torsemide, we gave water by mouth, (sugar water , tuna juice also for protein) constantly. Eventually I gave mirtazapine appetite stimulant. Finally she began eating at. 9 pm but very little. She did finally start drinking on her own by then. And using the box. But then her breathing went up to 48 after midnight and then 60 around 2am. I fought it with lasix and more torsemide. At 7 am she was 48 and by noon 40. The cardio said to watch, do meds , and wait to see if she needs to go in Tuesday if breathing increases again. This not eating , giving mirtazapine, breathing increase, and more meds has been happening weekly for three weeks. I don't know why she went from fine Saturday night to being sick Sunday am. But it's upset her system and made recovery from congestion more difficult.

By 3:30 p.m. today, her breathing rate increased again suddenly. She stopped eating treats and food. I waited to see if it would calm down but it didn't so by 5 p.m. I gave 5mg of lasix.  Then at 6 p.m. 2.5mg of Torsemide.  At 8 p.m. she had the rest of her meds.  Finally, by 8:30 p.m. she was breathing 44 bpm; by 9:30 9bpm.  She began eating again.  Everything seemed back to normal. 

I texted the cardio who said to bring her in Tuesday if needed.  And that's where we are at 11:27 p.m. Except Myrna just seemed to begin to suddenly breathe hard again and seemed bothered by it.  I'm waiting to see if it's momentary of sudden onset of something again.  This time, if it's something, I may take her to the ER connected to the cardio's office.  I'll monitor for a short while and see how she does.  It's always difficult to tell now what is the best course of action now that the disease has progressed. 

Update 2/10/15:  Myrna needed extra Torsemide overnight but by 2 a.m was breathing more comfortably.  I will call the cardio in the later a.m. to see if need to bring her in Tuesday or make an appointment for Thursday.  They are closed on Wednesdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment