Thursday, June 20, 2013

Bette and Cooper Go to Michigan State Vet School to See the Dentist/Bette is Allergic to Her Annual Shots

On Monday, June 17, Bette Davis and Cooper went to MSU to see the wonderful dental tech, Jean, whom everyone adores.  If she's not available, you wait until she is if you can.  Bette needed two teeth removed due to resorbtion and Cooper needed a good cleaning.  

When a pet goes to the dentist, you need to provide current copies of blood work, a list of any meds and amounts they receive, and any known medical issues. I wrote up the list for the vet and listed Bette's current allergic reaction to her shots (Thursday June 6-forgot to blog; see notes below. She had her annual shots June 6 and an allergic reaction that evening.)  The dentist said they have seen more allergic reactions this year than before and they recently changed their supplier. I asked my husband to get more info. If I find out anything worth passing on-is it both distemper/rabies, is it from one shot, is there a bad batch, is there a better source-I'll post it here.

Speaking of vaccinations, let's review what happened to Bette and learn some lessons. If your cat receives shots and later that day vomits and then doesn't immediately shake it off and go about it's business, but instead continues to vomit large quantities of food or fluid and then seems exhausted, dazed, breathing fast, there's a good chance the cat is having an allergic reaction to the shot.  Most vets will say to watch for tiredness and injection site skin reactions. But don't discount vomiting and lethargy. The cat could also have difficulty breathing, the face and throat could be swelling, etc.   The cat will need a vet a.s.a.p.   At the ER Bette had a temp but it was discounted. Don't discount it.   Your cat will need an anti-inflammation/fever reducer med (but remember HCM cats cannot take steroids), sub q fluids, and Benadryl or something similar.  And perhaps antibiotics.  Bette did not receive one and spent all week with a fever that took its time coming down.  She was clearly still too exhausted and even slept at meal time, although we woke her to make sure she ate.  But the vet had refused the antibiotic.  If this happens again, I will insist. 

Let's talk annual vaccinations.  Both Myrna's vets have questioned if she will get them this year due to her heart growth. But she has received them in the past because her overall condition and breathing rate were o.k. And she tolerated them. 

All HCM cats should be indoor cats I believe. Too stressful, too risky to be outside on their own, wandering the neighborhood, getting into stressful situations, not around for scheduled meds, but also getting possible infections if they do not also get vaccinations.

All HCM cats should receive their shots if they are physically capable of handling them and all household cats with which they come into contact should also be vaccinated.

If your HCM cat cannot receive their shots, they should get, if possible, a distemper shot because that disease is impossible to eliminate the possible contamination of and access to it. Why? Because as infected cats urinate/defecate/sneeze around our environment, we as humans pick it up and bring it back into our homes and yards; other cats traipse through our yards spreading the disease. It's also considered airborne.

Our HCM cats could avoid the rabies shot if needed and if not in contact with cats not part of their already vaccinated household. The danger of course is what happens if they get bit by a bat or other animal.

Discuss vaccinations with your vet and decide what can be done year to year.

About Bette's allergic reaction to her shots:

Bette at the ER June 6
From June 6:  "At Er with Bette Davis. Had annual shots today and tonight vomited and was lethargic. And vomited six times in 30 min. thought best to bring to er. Possibly unrelated to shots but we'll see. X-rays, sub q, and stomach meds.

From June 7: "Took Bette Davis to the regular vet this a.m. ER sent us home with sub q fluids to give in the a.m. but she refused to let us stick a needle into her. But it turned out to be a good thing because she had a temp at the vet of 101-normal-on Thurs; at the ER of 102.7-elevated; and this a.m. of 103-very high. The vet is giving more sub q, Benydryl, and I think something else. She's never had a reaction before but it can happen. We're still waiting on blood work to come back from the check-up to see if anything was in the works or if all was normal prior to the shot. She'll be home soon to recover and we'll check the temp later in the day."

No comments:

Post a Comment